We just finished lunch on our fifth day, and we are experiencing our first day of full on rain. I think we've maintained a good mixture of getting stuff done and having fun throughout our days here so far. Todd says we haven't been acting like it's vacation enough, and we have been pretty busy starting our lives here. But most of the "business" we have to take care of is pretty fun. Like house hunting.
We've now been out twice to check out potential homes. One trip around the city with our agent was planned, the other was sprung on us via a phone call first thing in the morning telling us to be at the train station parking lot in 10 minutes. We tore off our pajamas, threw on our jeans and ran out the door. Our agent is a busy guy, so we had to move quickly to get some more house hunting action.
It has been a pleasant surprise to find many options that are pretty great. Our criteria for what we're looking for has changed a bit, and we are definitely searching for a more traditional Dutch style house now. This is in contrast to the apartments right in the center of the city that we thought we wanted. These homes we're checking out are a quick bike ride to the Centrum, but they have more space and Jack can have a tiny spot outside at the back of the house. The neighborhoods we've seen are lovely - lots of parks and green space, small cafes, and weekly markets all right around the corner. We hope to have a place secured in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to post pictures once we find one!
In the meantime, here's a pic from one of the neighborhoods we may live in:
Todd's most exciting development of the past few days was buying his "omafiets"...his granny bike. We have found the market for bikes is saturated, however, they don't come cheap! Todd's bike is just what he was hoping for, and he has lots of plans for tricking it out. Here he is hogging the road:
Actually he wasn't hogging the road at all, almost every street has a wide and beautiful bike lane. Biking is certainly preferred to walking in this city. I just need to find a bike for myself!
Now I must turn my attention back to the tiny cup of coffee Todd has brewed for me using our Phillips Senseo. Once we move out of this temporary place, we'll have to buy one of these for ourselves. Yum! Perhaps we'll venture into the rain for another cup later this afternoon as well...
Sorry again for odd formatting, our computer is set to arrive next week, that'll be refreshing.
ReplyDeleteHi Megan! I am going to love reading your blog--even though I am extremely jealous of you and Todd! I had planned to get a card sent to you before you left on this grand adventure, but this will be my greeting! I really would think you are in downtown Holland MI from some of the photos!! (I stopped at your mom's to get the address of the blog and yuur email account.)
ReplyDeleteJackie DeGroot
So glad you're following- thanks Jackie!
DeleteYOOOOOOOO! Toddy looks fresh on that bike. Formatting isn't weird for all of us readers...everything looks good.
ReplyDeleteThanks Cam! Let's Skype soon!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIs Todd getting his single speed shipped over there too? Obviously he needs an omafiets as well, and he looks right at home on top of that speed demon. Good luck on the continued house hunt!
ReplyDeleteMSG- the single speed is on the way. Going to break in this omafiets for my ol granny so we can ride together.
DeleteLooks like you're off to a great start! Yay! Loved the Dutch costume pic! haha
ReplyDeleteI think I could have fit in that apartment-size kennel! I would have been good company for the dog!! I am going to sign all of my posts with ISJ (I'm So Jealous!) That will be a new one to add to LOL and OMG, etc!
ReplyDeleteI still have a feeling you are in downtown Holland, MI! That intersection with the brick circle and large planter look VERY familiar.
Jackie