Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hanging Around This Town

This past weekend was definitely on the low-key side of the spectrum.  Partly because we didn't have a whole lot planned, and then hampered part way through since I got sick.  Nothing big, just a normal average cold.  We did manage to have some fun though while I was still feeling OK.  We started out the weekend by checking out a new microbrewery in town, the first of its kind in Eindhoven.  It's called Van Moll, and we downed a few beers there Friday night with friends.



It's located right downtown and the beer was quite tasty.  The vibe of the place made me feel kind of like I was back in the US.  I guess I'm just used to breweries over here coming with a few monks.

On Saturday, I could feel my cold coming on, but we still managed to get out to see a small bit of Dutch Design Week for a couple of hours.  Dutch Design Week is a big deal in the Netherlands, and it draws large crowds from around the country and Europe.  We went to the areas of town known as Strijp-S and Strip-R, which are both former industrial areas that are being revitalized in really cool ways.  These areas are home to a lot of design on a regular basis as well, not just for DDW.  Here's some of the photos we snapped:


Of course, Todd took lots of photos of the bikes there...




A grill on a bike? A new spin on fast food? (double the pun there, people)

These swings were really fun. I enjoyed them as much as the children they were probably meant for.


These next two were taken in Strijp-R at the studio/workshop/factory/showroom of Piet Hein Eek. Eek is a Dutch designer well known for his work with reclaimed materials.  I especially loved his tables.



I'm hoping to get out and see some more before the end of DDW, since it's a very cool event happening
right in our backyard.  I'll leave you with a photo that pretty much represents the rest of our weekend:


On Saturday, Todd's mom and aunt arrive in the Netherlands.  I'm guessing I'll be too busy showing them a good time to blog next week (since we're going to France!). I guess you'll just have to look forward to a huge recap in about two weeks.  Until then, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment