Friday, January 24, 2014

Perspective

Thank you to everyone for being so excited for us with the big news I shared last week. Whether we spoke to you on Skype, in person, email, or via Facebook, it sure was fun to tell you.  I love the feeling of everyone knowing the news now so that I don't need to keep the secret anymore.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned it yet, but Todd and I have confirmation that we are moving back to the US of A the last weekend in March (cue my nervous jitters again regarding putting Jack on the plane...).  We cannot believe that this adventure is quickly coming to a close.  We knew the time would go fast, but it has flown!

For our last couple of months, we are focusing on enjoying life in Eindhoven.  We have no big trips planned, maybe just a few shorter day trips here and there.  It doesn't help matters that Todd is in the throes of busy season for work, but we're still doing fun things along the way. And it actually has been nice over the past few weeks to catch up with friends and simply enjoy staying put. 

This week I did visit Den Haag for a girl's day with my friends Chelsea and Mindy.  We met up to check out the MC Escher museum, located in the former winter palace of the Dutch Queen Mother Emma.  The palace itself was quite beautiful and located  right in the middle of downtown Den Haag.





And the artwork was very cool to see.  MC Escher, a Dutch artist, created mainly lithographs and woodcuts.  He is known for his works that play around with perspective and impossible reality.  I'm guessing you'd recognize some of his work.  I snapped a few shots of my favorites. I apologize for the fuzziness of some of these.

Self portrait.

I bought a print of this for our house.

San Gimignano, where Todd and I visited last fall.

Tessellation, with flying birds becoming swimming fish.

He created this one for an academy in Eindhoven.


You have probably seen this one?
Mindy, since we were in her city, cooked a nice breakfast for us before going to the museum, and then we went out for a late lunch afterwards.  What a nice day!   I cannot complain about how flexible my life is here that I can sneak away for a day in the middle of the week to have fun.

In other news, my parents are coming to visit us again!  They arrive early next week and stay for a week.  I'm guessing I'll wait to blog again until after their departure when I can catch you up on what we did.  Until then, dear readers!

2 comments:

  1. Mel and I will be traveling in NW Netherlands in June. Do you know of a website that is good for B & Bs in the more rural areas? I am sorry your Dutch adventure is coming to an end but you will always live an adventurous lifestyle!!
    I'm Still so Jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie! Other than my Lonely Planet and Rick Steve's travel books, I use booking.com to find options and then also check them on TripAdvisor to see the ratings and what people are saying. Booking should allow you to designate B&B as a search criteria. Have fun planning your trip!

      Delete