Monday, June 17, 2013

Appropriate Summer Attire

As the weather starts to get warmer here, I thought I'd begin this post with a quick commentary on the fashion choices I see being made around me.  Weather in the Netherlands (especially this year) is not known for being particularly warm.  However, we've had a decent number of days as of late where it's hit at least 65 degrees.  To me, that sort of weather calls for jeans or a skirt and a t-shirt.  If I'm hopping on my bike in the morning before the sun has its time to shine, I'll probably throw on a light jacket. Seems reasonable, right?  Well, what would you think if you saw someone wearing this in that same weather?:



No joke, I have witnessed multiple people wearing winter coats while riding their bikes this summer.  How are they not overheating?  I haven't as of yet been quick enough to snap a shot of someone sporting this rad fashion idea, but don't worry, I'll keep trying.  Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?  It's supposed to hit 90 tomorrow, and if I see a fur-lined hoodie I think I will have to ask that person if they are right in the head.

I also thought I'd share some photos from a recent Culture Club outing.  You may remember that last time I went to Keukenhof with this group.  This time around, we headed to Mondo Verde, which is basically a bunch of country-themed gardens and a zoo all rolled into one.  The place was fun to walk around, and it was very easy to tell when you were entering a new "country".  Here's some of my favorite photos and animals from the visit:


Lovers.

These guys didn't budge an inch, how do they do that?

Italy.

Japan.


Albino kangaroo!

Hard to see because of my awesome photography skills, but this is one giant dude.

Morocco.

Portugal.

This little guy reached through the bars and snatched a lady's sunglasses off of her head.

We went to "Spain" for lunch, and we were all looking forward to some tapas. Unfortunately, they didn't carry over the Spanish theme to the food, only to the architecture, so I ate a pasteitje.  Pasteitje is a typically Dutch dish that consists of a pastry with chicken and mushroom gravy.  It looks something like this:


It was another fun outing, and I look forward to joining the group on more excursions in the fall.

1 comment:

  1. According to the photos of the animals you sent--I would think that you had gone to visit Noah's Ark!
    Looks like a very interesting place! ISJ

    ReplyDelete