Thursday, June 27, 2013

Eindhov-eh

Today I'd like to share a few fun things I've come across recently related to the city we've been inhabiting for the past 10 months.  As we've chronicled in multiple posts, biking is a huge part of life in the Netherlands.  And we've always marveled at the infrastructure created for biking in this country.  Now we have proof of this country's cycling greatness.  The Copenhagenize Index released their 2013 list of most bike friendly cities.  Eindhoven places at #6!  I must say I'm pretty proud that our city made it so high on the list.  Amsterdam and Utrecht did rank higher than us, which means that 3 of the top 10 cities are Dutch.

The other item I thought I'd share is a video created to market the city of Eindhoven.  This will give you a nice glimpse of some of the hot spots.  At 18 minutes, it's not exactly a short video, so here's a few highlights you may want to skip to if you can't watch the whole thing:
  • The first two minutes or so gives a nice intro.
  • 3:10 - the old Philips factory, bottom floor is Usine, one of our favorite restaurants and places to grab a coffee or a beer
  • 4:41 - Kleine Berg, a favorite street of ours for restaurants and bars
  • 5:05 - the Piazza, an indoor/outdoor mall where I do a lot of shopping
  • 11:30 - Strijp-S, this area has an industrial feel, and is a design hub, we spent time here during Dutch Design Week
  • 12:25 - Van Abbe Museum, the main museum in Eindhoven
  • 13:34 - Het Spiegelbeeld, a restaurant on Dommelstraat, a street full of restaurants that we often visit
Also take note how the actors in the film say "Eindhoven".  It sounds much more like Eindhov-eh, without the "N".



Hopefully you enjoyed learning a bit more about our current home!  Tonight we are leaving on a jet plane for London. We'll be visiting friends who live there and of course spending lots of time being tourists.  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment