Happy Friday, everyone! I don't know about you, but this week flew by. My language courses went well the rest of the week. I am really enjoying the class. And I already realize that I can understand a tiny bit more of "real life" Dutch. For example, I went to the grocery store this morning and I didn't need to look at the computer screen to see the amount I needed to pay. I understood the cashier when she told me the amount. Baby steps, right? It felt pretty good.
I just got back from lunch with a bunch of women in the International Women's Club in Eindhoven. I decided to join this group a few weeks ago, and it was a great decision. I have already met lots of nice women - been invited to homes, had coffee with others, etc. I'm not really not sure why I didn't join sooner!
Last night, Todd and I participated in an International Quiz Night (trivia). We have gone with a couple from the UK to this trivia night a few times, but last night we had our best showing ever. We placed 6th out of 25 teams. Todd and I rocked it much more than we have in the past. The trivia is actually decently tough, so we were quite proud of our 6th place finish.
To continue with my random thoughts today, I wanted to share a couple of photos from the career fair that I attended yesterday. I went up to Utrecht University, where they were hosting a career fair. There were about 60 companies and an estimated 1,000 students in attendance (our career fair at GVSU does have them beat :). I got to speak with quite a few companies and gather information that I can share with GVSU. This career fair is actually run completely by students. Students join the "Carrieredag" (Career Day) committee and begin planning the event about a year in advance. It was cool to see these students running the show. They did a great job.
The most intriguing part of the event was that free alcohol was served! To college students. At a professional event. I was very surprised by this. The career advisor in me wanted to tell all the students who were walking around with a glass of wine in their hands to set it down! What a cultural difference, eh?
So that concludes my scattered thoughts for the day. This weekend Carnaval is being celebrated in Eindhoven (and elsewhere in the world of course). Todd and I have our costumes ready, so be prepared for some funny pics next week. Until then my friends!



No comments:
Post a Comment