Monday, February 25, 2013

Tennis and Snow, Just Not at the Same Time

Greetings, my friends!  The tennis event was a mixed bag this past weekend.  On one hand, we had a great time getting some time on the court and hanging with his colleagues.  On the other hand, Todd and I discovered we are better life partners than tennis partners.  Boy, did we suck.  Well, to be fair, I think we sucked mainly because we were out of practice. Lots of unforced errors and silly mistakes.  

The indoor tennis center.

I think if we had had some time to warm up or had practiced beforehand that things might have gone more smoothly.  We got to play two "matches"(we just played as many games as time allowed), and lost both.  Oh, and our other excuse for playing poorly is the rackets.  I believe I mentioned that we needed to rent rackets once we got there.  But rent is really too strong of a word for what happened.  We picked out our rackets from a large cardboard box. It was first come, first served and we were not the first to choose, so we got some pretty raggedy looking rackets with which to play.  We can blame it on that, right?

The event itself was interesting.  It was set-up in pools so that everyone played once against the teams in their pool.  Here's the sheet:




We were in GD Poule J.  The reason I took a photo of this was to show you how nicely our last name fits in with the other Dutchies listed. 

In between matches, there was plenty to eat and drink.  We had soup, iced tea, and coke after our first match:



Then we had dinner and a couple of beers after our second match.  Since our pool had only 3 teams, Todd and I played each other for the last match of the day.  I think Todd will blame it on the fact that he ate dinner and had 2 beers before the match, but I was up on him 5-4 when time was called.  Who knows where that would have ended up had we had a longer time to play :). So, although our tennis playing skills weren't great, we still had fun.  And that's what counts, right?

We also got a little bit of snow this weekend, so we took Jack to the park.  Running around in the snow is pretty much her favorite thing.  Here's a quick clip of the action:


And a few more shots for good measure:

She doesn't run, she bounds.


Since we haven't had a whole lot of snow, it was still fun to go out in it. But, I would be more than OK if this was the last time it snows. The tulips are already starting to poke out of the ground, so hopefully that's a good sign that Spring is around the corner!

My parents arrive tomorrow, so I might not be posting for a week or so.  But I will be back after they leave with lots to share.  Have a safe flight Mom and Dad!  And a great week to the rest of you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan, great pictures! Just saw an article about a Dutch restaurant called De Librije its in a 16th century monastery in Zwolle. Hope you can check it out and take some photos! Enjoy your visit with the folks, and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete