It's been a weird one, folks! Todd and I are both dealing with the changes that this week has brought.
As far as Todd is concerned, he has been surprised by many things during his first week of work. He's like a newbie all over again! His first surprise is that essentially nothing was ready for him on his first day. Well, except for a huge car we'll be using until we get a permanent vehicle! We don't have anywhere to park it right now, so Todd's been keeping it at the office in their ramp. I haven't even seen the beast yet! But he didn't have a computer, or access to his work email, or a phone, or any other essentials for getting by in a place of employment like his.
He was also surprised (maybe he shouldn't have been) by the amount of Dutch being spoken in the office. The only time his coworkers break from the Dutch is when they are speaking directly to Todd. That will take some getting used to, and hopefully he can learn some of the language along the way. Another surprise, albeit small, was the dress code. He was told originally that he'd be wearing a suit and tie every day, so he went into work his first day looking spiffy:
But he gets to ditch the tie on a daily basis, which is a nice little discovery.
Saying that my days have been different is a bit of an understatement. It is quite the adjustment to not be pulling into GVSU's campus everyday. Although, I have started up my work again, so it has been nice to reconnect. I am sure ready for when our computer arrives (sounds like that won't be happening until next week now), since it's a bit hard to do all of my work via iPad. But I can be patient. I have stayed busy enough though this week. There are still lots of logistics to get in place with bank accounts and driver's licenses, etc. Each step, like making a deposit for the first time, or mailing a letter are ego boosting mini victories telling me that, yes, I can get around here!
I did make it out to the big market in Eindhoven yesterday, and picked up these beauties:
And Jackaroo is very happy to have her first Dutch toy:
I should have some exciting house hunting news when I blog next, so stay tuned (how's that for a teaser?). Ta ta for now!
European time is a bit more casual than USA time. I think you will remember that from your year in France as time goes on. You will probably have several "aha" moments!How do you think all of those sidewalk cafes are always full!
ReplyDeleteISJ
First day at school. Love it. he looks so excited to get out that door.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow it is difficult to get that "Please prove you are not a robot," picture things when posting a comment. took me way too many tries. Must be some pretty smart robots out there.
ReplyDeletedidn't realized I would have to do it again when posting that second comment. The entire time I am typing this third comment all I can think about is how difficult the word & picture will be when I try to post this.
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't too bad that third time. only took one try.
ReplyDelete