Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lichtjesroute

We had a great time getting our Dutch on this past weekend by riding bikes constantly!  The Lichtjesroute (Light Route) is currently going on in Eindhoven.  The Lichtjesroute is an illuminated route along 22km of roads in Eindhoven.  The route commemorates the liberation of Eindhoven during World War II on September 18, 1945.  Since the company Philips was founded in Eindhoven, it makes sense that the celebration would include many lights.  So we hopped on our bikes to take in the views of hundreds of thousands of light bulbs arranged as large ornaments with different themes along the various roads.

We have probably spent a total of 3 hours riding along the route, and here's a few of the photos we took to give you an idea of what it looks like:












Before I saw the route in action, I thought it was going to be a little hokey, but it was actually really fun to ride around and see everything at night.

On Saturday we put our legs to good use again and cycled to a neighboring village called Geldrop.  It was very quaint and cute, and we enjoyed ourselves out on a large square in the center of town.  You feel a real sense of accomplishment when you get somewhere via bike as opposed to car.  I've been surprised by how much I've enjoyed biking since being here!





The weekend was rounded out by 2 trips to Ikea.  Has anyone eaten in their cafeteria before?  Yum-oh!  We ordered a bed and have plans to order more.  The bed will be delivered on Saturday.  We are moving to our new, unfurnished home on Friday night.  For those astute readers out there, you may notice this means we won't have a bed for Friday night.  You're right.  It's the floor all the way for the 3 of us on Friday.  Another adventure I suppose?  Although we do have bedding and pillows, so we'll figure out some set-up, and I'll be sure to share the pics!  Anyone have any indoor camping tips they'd like to share?

2 comments:

  1. I love the bicycle culture in Holland. Used it for one of my classes at GVSU, complete with photos! I had no idea how many people used bikes as their main transportation until I saw a morning rush hour in a city! ISJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an idea for your sleeping arrangement on Friday night! Sleep in that fancy car you got!! Went to ArtPrize with Deb Hoksbergen today...she did great with all of the walking. ISJ

    ReplyDelete